During this time of increased telephone consultations, it is difficult to diagnose/treat skin conditions when your GP can’t actually see them. To this end we have set up a way for you to send us your own images.
PLEASE NOTE: This service is ONLY to be used as directed by a clinician. We will NOT action any unsolicited images!
You have two options:
- You can choose to upload a max of four images (limited to 3MB each) using the secure form at the end of this page, or
- You can manually send them in to the following address:
In your email you MUST include:
- The name and date of birth of the patient (i.e. who the image is of)
- The name of the clinician who needs to see the image
And if the total size of the images in your email is more than 12MB, please split your images up over 2 or more emails.
Please be aware that we DO NOT accept video attachments – still images only.
Some useful advice to follow when taking these kinds of photos:
- Depending on the area of the body, try to take images in good lighting against a white background (a bit of paper will often do)
- Take the image straight on – not at an angle
- Take at least two images – one close up and one in context
- Check the images for focus and blurring before sending and retake if needed until you get ones that are clear and sharp.
Before you send the Practice any photos, you need to be aware of the following.
There is no guarantee that emails will be delivered to the practice. As patient emails travel over the public internet, they can be stopped, removed or lost before they are received by NHS Lothian.
Once they are received by NHS Lothian, please be aware that they may be seen by an admin member of staff working for the Practice before being seen by a clinician, and some or all of the photos you send will be saved to your clinical record. Once saved the original email will be deleted.
If you are happy with this information then you can send your photos in to the Practice.