Submit a Self-Referral


NHS Lothian accepts self referrals for several of its specialist departments. Self referrals can be made by completing and posting the provided application form or by telephoning the clinic directly.

NHS Lothian Minor Injuries Department

Patients can now NHS24 111 to access minor injury assessment in Lothian.

This service can help adults and children aged 18 months and over who have a recent minor injury.

A Nurse Practitioner will assess your injury and provide advice and treatment within a matter of minutes. A lot of minor injuries can be treated from the comfort of your home or with the help of a local pharmacy.

If you require a face to face appointment at a minor injuries service you will be given a convenient appointment time to save you waiting when you attend.

Visit to learn more about the service.

NHS Lothian Podiatry Department

The Podiatry service provides a high quality, fully comprehensive foot health service for conditions affecting the lower limb. They assess, treat and advise patients with foot health disorders in order to maintain and maximise their quality of life and so encourage a healthy active life with feet that function normally and without discomfort.

Podiatry Application Form.

More information can be found on the NHS Lothian Services website.

Edinburgh Community Physiotherapy Service

Edinburgh Community Physiotherapy Service serves Edinburgh Health & Social Care Partnership. The role of the Community Physiotherapy Service is to provide a skilled, accessible and equitable musculoskeletal and rehabilitation service for the population of the City of Edinburgh , in a variety of out-patient, domiciliary and hospital environments.

They have a number of self-referral services available, such as for those with neurological problems, bladder problems, for those requiring walking aids, as well as those who need help and advice for muscle, back or joint problems.

You can find out more about these services, including the self-referral forms, on the
NHS Lothian Physiotherapy service website.

Lothian Stop Smoking Services

The Stop Smoking service provides support to anyone wishing to give up smoking. There are several ways to help you stop, so you can find the one that best suits your lifestyle.

The South Edinburgh service can be contacted on 0131 537 7154.

If you are a young person you can also call or text 07964 247 482.

There is also the Community Pharmacy scheme within Lothian, where you can find a pharmacy close to you for motivation, one-to-one support as well as Nicotine Replacement Therapy.

There are over 100 pharmcies in the City of Edinburgh alone who offer this service. You can search by place/postcode for one near you at the NHSInform website.

For more information, guidance and support visit Quit Your Way.

NHS Pharmacy First Service

The NHS Lothian Pharmacy First service enables pharmacists to assess and treat, if appropriate, a number of minor ailments and common clinical conditions.

Pharmacists are able to prescribe certain medications from a pre-set list without you needing to see a GP.

The service is available at all community pharmacies in Scotland.

For more information you can read the patient information leaflet on this service, and you can visit NHSInform to search for your local community pharmacy.

NHS Lothian Sexual Health Termination Service

Unplanned pregnancy is very common; around half of all pregnancies are unplanned. As many as one in three women in the UK has an abortion at some time in their life. The decision to have an abortion (termination of pregnancy, TOP) is not easy and it can be a very emotional time for those involved; talking it through with experienced professionals can help.

You don’t have to be referred for a termination via a GP in Lothian any more. Instead you can self-refer by calling 0131 536 2454 between the hours of 9am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Please ensure you are able to speak privately when you call. You will be asked for some personal details relating to your appointment.

You will have your first appointment at the Chalmers Centre, or St Johns Hospital if you live in West Lothian.

For further information please visit the Lothian Sexual Health website.